In conjunction with the Olympics, World Breastfeeding Week 2008 calls for greater support for mothers in achieving the gold standard of infant feeding: breastfeeding exclusively for six months, and providing appropriate complementary foods with continued breastfeeding for up to two years or beyond.
As every country sends its best athletes to compete at these global games, it is important to remind ourselves that, in a similar fashion, a healthy young athlete can only emerge from a healthy start on life. There is no question that optimal infant and young child feeding is essential for optimal growth and development.
Supporting Mother = Supporting Her to Provide the Golden Start For Every Child !
I loved breastfeeding my baby girl and will forever have the fondest memories of that bonding and nourishing time together. I breastfed my baby for almost 16 months, and Sandra nursed her baby girl for 2 years. So, we are happy to celebrate World Breastfeeding Week with you all. What a beautiful way to honor the miracle of the breast!
Read on for some great breastfeeding facts from Earth Mama Angel Baby, and maybe even win our special give away for sharing your inspiration too!
Some Breastfeeding Facts
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breast milk, even for babies whose moms can’t breast feed due to illness or other permanent difficulties. Breast milk is “uniquely superior to all other feeding methods”, and expressed human breast milk from a source other than the mother is preferential to infant formula or other alternatives.
- Breastfed babies suffer fewer illnesses, because human milk transfers a mother’s antibodies directly to her baby.
- Breastfeeding is better for the planet — no packaging, pollution, or waste!
- Breast milk is a super food. It contains not only all the nutrients your child needs, but also contains stem cells, which may contain developmental keys to a child’s growth.
The more we find out about the benefits of breast milk for baby, mother, society and the earth, the more fascinated and astounded we are that breastfeeding is still a difficult choice for many mothers, due to social stigmas, difficulties pumping at work, and grouchy meanies who make it hard for mothers to breastfeed their children anywhere, as needed. If you want to get involved, you can contact your congressperson to let her or him know that you support (and vote for) those who support breastfeeding legislation.
Inspirational Breastfeeding Stories
We would love to hear yours! Please leave a comment finishing this sentence….
“I love breastfeeding because….”
to enter to win our special give away…
A Breastfeeding Support Kit from Earth Mama Angel Baby
This heavenly EMAB breastfeeding kit includes:
- 4 oz. Milkmaid Tea
- 2 Booby Tubes
- 2 oz. Natural Nipple Butter
- 1.5 oz. Bosom Buddies
and retails for $49.95
Winner will be picked on Sept. 1st!
Thanks for sharing Mamas!
And The Winner Is…
“I love breastfeeding because it is my baby’s way of telling me to “slow down mom and just love me.” I love the moments to just admire her little head and body while she nursed. I’m also a big fan of the convenience. When waiting for a late night delayed flight, baby had plenty to eat. But I saw another mom having to mix formula with tap water because all the stores in the airport were closed!”
Recommended Breastfeeding Links:
- Child Health Benefits
- Breast-Feeding Best Bet for Babies